The 13 August 2017 will mark the 40th anniversary of protests and disturbances in New Cross and Lewisham which have become know as the ‘Battle of Lewisham’.
Goldsmiths, University of London is leading a series of events to remember, commemorate and evaluate the events of 1977 and to try and situate them into the contemporary context of twenty-first century London.
This website provides historical information about the ‘Battle of Lewisham’ as well as updated news and information about the commemorative events taking place in August 2017.
There are lots of ways in which you can play your part in the commemorations; most notably by helping us to decide the wording for a Lewisham Council Maroon Plaque which will be positioned opposite Clifton Rise in New Cross.
- Latest news
- Plans for the 2017 commemorations
- Play your part in the 2017 commemorations
- Keep up-to-date by joining our e-mail list
- What was the ‘Battle of Lewisham’?
- Why did the ‘Battle of Lewisham happen’?
- Who was involved in the ‘Battle of Lewisham’?
- Timeline of events on the 13 August 1977
- Map of events on 13 August 1977
Click here to send us a message or post your comments at the top of the page.