From Italy to England – My Goldsmiths Story!

Student standing by Chinese Character

Hi everyone, I’m Francesco, well, that’s how my friends call me! 

I am a Short Course student at the Confucius Institute of Goldsmiths. I am currently studying for my PhD in History of Art and Territory at UNED University in Madrid, with a great passion for China and its culture.  

I’m going to tell you about my London experience. Why did I decide to study Chinese in London? Why at Goldsmiths Confucius Institute? 

Because I was sure to meet excellence, in people, in study, and I was sure to meet a stimulating environment, where the most different cultures meet and enrich themselves. A place where you feel the creativity and the passion for the arts.

In the last few years, Chinese language and culture have gone beyond borders, winning over many foreign students like me, attracted by the culture and the new economic dynamics of the country.

China and Chinese culture live in every capital, in every city and it is up to us to find it. London is a global city; the Confucius Institute is a Chinese department with a global dimension. English and Chinese language are the key to the future. That’s why I chose the Confucius Institute at Goldsmiths; to have the keys to tomorrow’s world.

I was fascinated by the quality of the teaching and facilities, and also by the philosophy of the college, which has counted many famous people among its students. What I found here is an inclusive and sociable environment, a true paradise for every student! Thanks to the HSK training course, I have been able to improve my Chinese level and I feel confident in signing up to the level 5 exam soon.

At Goldsmiths I also found a some other very interesting short courses, some of them focused on business, which I hope to combine in the future with work experience in this beautiful city, full of opportunities and quality of life.

Student in front of blossom tree
Francesco outside the Ben Pimlott building on Goldsmiths Campus

Francesco is from Bologna in Italy; he is currently a student of Goldsmiths HSK 5 Mandarin Training Short Course. He has a veritable thirst for knowledge; he gained a BA in History of Art from Bologna University, an MA in Chinese Studies from Pompeu Fabra University in Barcelona and an MA in Contemporary History from Complutense University of Madrid.