Our LLB Law programme at Goldsmiths is delighted to offer students a chance to access Inner Temple workshops on becoming a Barrister.
These workshops will be embedded in Goldsmiths’ ‘21stCentury Legal Skills’ course in Year 1. The workshops will include:
- An introduction to the Bar, and the path to the barrister profession;
- Support with applications that students will encounter during their journey to the Bar, applying for scholarships, and a particular focus on how to apply to the Inner Temple’s leading PASS programme.
Students will hear first-hand about the Inner Temple’s Pegasus Access and Support Scheme (PASS), which is designed to support aspiring barristers who have not yet started the BPTC. It was established by the Inner Temple and 62 different partner chambers across a range of practice areas. The aim of the programme is to improve access to the profession and to support high achieving students from under-represented backgrounds by providing the experiences they need to be able to thrive at the Bar.
PASS aims to do this by securing a mini-pupillage in chambers for each participant. PASS also supports participants by providing a focused professional and advocacy skills development programme.
The Inner Temple covers the associated travel and accommodation costs for PASS so that the participants can fully enjoy the mini-pupillage experience and the development programme. They’re looking for candidates who have attended a UK state school and who meet at least one of the following criteria:
- Recipient of free schools meals
- First in their family to attend university
- Have parents (s) who received income support or they themselves are in receipt of income or housing benefits
- School area: Preference is given to those students who have attended schools with a low attainment and progression to higher education rate
Preference for PASS is given to applicants who have participated in the following programmes:
- Inner Temple schools project
- Pathway to Law
- Social Mobility Foundation programmes
- Warwick Multicultural Scholars programme
- Black Lawyers Directory Legal Launch Pad
- Urban Lawyers
Goldsmiths Law will raise awareness with collaborating schools about the Inner Temple schools project and Pathway to Law initiative.
The Inn encourages applications from mature applicants and applicants with disabilities, and Goldsmiths Law will bring the programme to their attention, and provide guidance and support where required.
The integration of these initiatives into the LLB Law programme is overseen by Goldsmiths’ Head of Law, Prof Dimitrios Giannoulopoulos, who is an Associate Academic Fellow at the Honourable Society of the Inner Temple.