Alley Akoh

The final year of the MA Art Psychotherapy was a challenging experience and illuminated my biases, love of learning and enjoyment of the process. I found that learning through the placements was like an archaeological dig and produced tectonic shifts in my thinking and ability to manage uncertainty. I felt fragmented but also found beauty in this, as brokenness or being opened meant that I was learning.

In Progress is an unfinished image of my South African roots and illustrates my love of the beach. I painted this to capture my home and revisit memories through the making. These experiences underpin my current lived experiences and how I move forward in life, examined in placements and supervision groups.

Alley-Akoh-_In-progress
In progress 80 x 60 cm Oil on Canvas

Process explores the difficult feelings and stretching experience of examining unconscious and conscious landscapes. These include my own biases produced through my upbringing and addressing these within current turbulent political contexts. The experiential learning was stimulating and taxing. This process represents the eternal and cyclical opportunities to learn and the sense of internalised ‘holding’, regardless of changing circumstances.

Process 43 x 30 cm Ink, chalk, glue, sand and gold leave/pigment or cardboard (mixed media)

Fragmentation represents the deep internal process of feeling fragmented during this training. I painted synaptic links made in the brain, as a way of consolidating the ‘old’ and the ‘new’. These pieces explore my experiences of being fractured and my expectation of being reassembled, and the many possibilities following graduation, including practising as a socially and ecologically active Art Therapist.

Alley-Akoh-_Fragmentation
Fragmentation 23 x 30 cm Oil on canvas

9 comments

1. Wow!! These are stunning pieces, Alley! Thanks for sharing…
    What a process and experience it must have been. I am excited for your graduation and Looking forward to all you can achieve and contribute to the world as a socially and ecologically active Art Therapist! All the best wishes!! xx

2. These pieces of art are beautiful and capture the emotions and creativity of the artist. I could look at them all day. The choice and blend of colours add to the appeal of each piece. I salute your gift and am confident that you will excel in your ambition to be a socially and ecologically active Art Therapist. I look forward to opportunities to see note of your work.

3. Fascinating paintings that look simple yet complex; abstract yet conveying deep meaning; vibrant and expressive. I love them particularly the third one. Well done.

4. Congratulations on reaching a meditative collective that seeks healing and shared experiences. Wishing you greater healing and exploration through art and those you reach out to with it. Looking forward to your growth and future works.

5. These are beautiful. I particularly like the first one, there is something very soothing about it.

6. Thank you for sharing, Alley! Your paintings hold wonderful meanings from you to the audience, very reflective of your past experiences and your inner emotions. I can see the beauty from brokenness here! Congratulations on completing your Masters degree in Art Psychotherapy! It sounds like you have learnt a great deal and I am so sure that you will go on to help many children, teenagers and adults in overcoming their fears and struggles through art. God bless your everyday creating!

7. Alley your art work is sensational and very evocative. The processes and experiences you describe are almost tangible in the vibrancy and vitality of each work. Every blessing to you as you step out into a new world as a socially and ecologically active art therapist!