Felicity Truscott

‘Boundary’, Tape, Multiple sizes

Artists Statement:

Made in the exhibition as it is being constructed as a collaboration. In How much is enough? Leslie Murdin says, ‘Psychotherapy is about setting boundaries and changing ones that are inappropriate’ I am researching internal and external boundaries; what they represent, protect, and serve. Currently I am using any materials to hand; nothing is planned materials or objects are found in their raw state. I respond to an immediate situation.

‘Cradle of the Soul II’, Plaster of Paris, 30 x 20 x 12cm

Artists Statement:

‘The Cradle of the Soul II’ is a plaster cast made whilst standing in my bath before having surgery for breast cancer. Wet plaster ran down my body like milk, it was cold on my skin. I wrapped myself in the plaster bandages and then washed the hardening rivulets off afterwards. My desire to memorialise had become a ritual: embodying my fear of change and loss.

Didier Anzieu says, ‘The skin is the interface between internal and external worlds. The skin ego function is to separate what belongs to the self and what does not’. My cast represents a psychic second skin containing feelings, thoughts, and memories, but externally symbolises whatever the viewer brings from their own cultural lived experience.

We have recently lived with a taboo of touch for a long time, and yet without touch we become traumatised and disconnected.
What does it mean to touch or to be touched again now?