Ingrida Zvera

My work explores the relationship between the traditional and the modern day. The work often challenges aesthetics and the perception of beauty in form and colour in art, particularly in the discipline of painting. Conceptual context lies in questioning traditions and culture. I am exploring sentiment, culture, personal and social values, as well as, their importance in everyday life. I find inspiration in nature and the materials available to me.

Compositions are staged, as I try to capture the mood and the notion of possibly common memories. Visualised scenes are partly or wholly imagined; dream-like visions of the past, or slowly reconstructed notions of memories of friends, places, events and situations.

Another theme I am questioning in my work is preserved knowledge, and its role and validity in modern society. I am interested in the interaction between past and present, cultural influences on the rather globalised, current lifestyles that most people are leading. Traditional values are information we inherit, and I am trying to identify the importance these values play in our understanding of the world, society and individual significance.

Since my conceptual concerns are based in the past or present, I am trying to create a notion of timelessness using a minimal amount of imagery, focusing more on the intensity of colour and line. I intend to minimise the amount of colour and number of visual elements, to find a more abstract approach to my subject matter.  For my future work, I also hope to develop a continued discussion around the role of tradition in various aspects of personal and social life.

Winter – No1                                                                                           28x35cm                                                                                                             Oil and Acrylic on Cardboard

Winter – No2                                                                                                   28x35cm                                                                                                            Oil  and Acrylic on Cardboard

Winter – No3                                                                                           28x35cm                                                                                                                  Oil and Acrylic on Cardboard