Surya de Wit

My work has always been centred around creating portraits, into which I pour a vast amount of materials and techniques. Creating them has been an indispensable way of processing everything that has happened throughout the year.

My works are characterised by a vibrant melody of colours, cohesively creating an atmosphere for my portraits to stand out within. These portraits are usually inspired by the people I meet and experiences I live through.

Hannah in Red:

Surya de Wit
22x32cm
Oil paint and bead work on canvas

Inquisitive, reflective and a piercing gaze. As opposed to my other pieces which depict comfortable women with almost ethereal facial expressions, I chose to give her a more intense and confrontational pose. Being confrontational is an uncomfortable feeling for me and this painting is as transformational for me aesthetically as it is personally.

Zorya Sisters:

140×130 cm
Oil paint and crochet on canvas

This piece is reminiscent of my childhood, where I grew up in an environment with strong female figures who supported each other. This was reflected in the course as I found myself again surrounded by predominantly female classmates and lecturers.

This painting relates a sense of compassion and encouragement, which was much needed throughout the year we had.

Iris:

Surya de Wit Iris
31x20cm
Oil paint embroidery and bead work on board

This piece evokes a sense of mysticism and female power. She was created during the peak of the pandemic when I often felt the need for a magical solution or a vision of a way out of the current situation.

www.suryadewit.net

Instagram: @suryadewit

7 comments

1. A lovely set of portraits, they really show glimpses into the characters of the figures.

2. Wow… your art work is absolutely amazing . Simple concepts but portrayed through power pieces of Art !

3. Wow… your art work is absolutely amazing . Simple concepts but portrayed through powerful pieces of Art !

4. Amazing work, strong powerful images and such a positive but simply stated message. The colours dazzle.
    You can feel the strength of the characters.