Categories
All entries Black-led community self-build

Tomorrow is Built Today: Current threats to self-build

Image: Courtesy of Tim Oshodi

Transcription

They entered into discussions to demolish our self-build homes. I got the self-builders together and we fought them off.

Every Black self-builder in Lewisham has been issued with a fake self-build tenancy i.e. the legal protections of the development agreements are not included in the tenancy. Chisel then attempted to remove our self-build discounts. We fought that proposal but they have only suspended their attempts.

Post Grenfell, Chisel performed a fire risk assessment of Greenstreet in 2017 carrying out remedial work funded from all out rents. To date they have failed to carry out risk assessments on both of Fusions schemes. The fire officer even wrote to me denying that they had done the work on Greenstreet.

Our 82 sq m on Nubia Way is classed as a three bed while a 130 sq m on Greenstreet is charged as a two bed. This is prima facie evidence of racist rent settings. Chisel have failed to provide a written rationale despite written commitments to do so by December 2021.

When I raised these issues they targeted me. Their own investigation found in my favour. They have still not followed their solicitor’s recommendation two years after it was made.

Chisel have offered discounted rents to non-self-builders. I believe this to be part of a wider policy of divide and rule which seeks to undermines the outstanding achievements of Fusions. I believe it is only through collective action that our rights will be fully protected irrespective of Chisels future.

Housing culture has changed. Jose Ospina is long gone. We encounter an attitude that you are tenant and should just be grateful for what you have. Self-builders who raise issues are seen as ‘trouble makers’.

(Tim Oshodi 2022)

(T6)

If for any reason you wish to withdraw your name or memory, contact us at engage@gold.ac.uk