Categories
All entries Black-led community self-build

Tomorrow is Built Today: Peter Coker

Image: Courtesy of Tim Oshodi

Transcription

The only way I could imagine having a home of my own was to build it. I dreamt to build my house but I was homeless and didn’t have the MONEY. It was a PERSONAL CHALLENGE. I didn’t need money just SWEAT BLOOD &TEARS. Building in a group with strangers is all about SELF IMPROVEMENT. How to read an architect’s drawing. I value the community we’ve made. Five tons of shingle to put on your roof could only be done by a team. We had people behind us and in front of us. A group of strangers who you can rely on and have come to TRUST. The environment is WORTH ITS WEIGHT IN GOLD.

The challenges are the personalities. We need strong wills but they go in different directions. Fulfilling your contractual self-build hours when you have famiy and other works. You must have COMMITMENT for the whole. A good friend stepped in for me when my work took me out of the country. I could tell you where I CUT A JOINT. A lot of effort made this wonderful home. If I could leave this to my own family member than that would be a LEGACY and I wished I owned it.

To next generation. “Get your act together. Know what it is you want. Be a finisher and see it through to the end.” Thank you for the opportunity, Thankful to MYSELF, MY FAMILY and anyone who knows me.

(T13)

If for any reason you wish to withdraw your name or memory, contact us at engage@gold.ac.uk