Primary page content

LLB Law students gain invaluable work experience in North London commercial set

Students on placement

Year 1 LLB Law students, Larah Otoo and Henry Norman, have just returned from a short placement with Darlingtons Solicitors LLP, a dynamic commercial set in North London.

The students had written the two essays in the 21st Century Legal Skills module – about modern legal practice in solicitor firms – which were awarded the placements.

LLB Law student Henry Norman, doing work for the Property department

Henry worked with the property team, dealing with Land registry and HMRC, and the Litigation team, where his tasks included looking at commercial property underleases and agreements to lease, going through a leasehold checklist and extracting a ‘break clause’, a ‘Rent Review clause’ and an ‘LTA 1954 s24-28 exemption clause’, with the purpose of inserting them into a new lease for a commercial property; the lease was sent out to the client and Henry received thanks for his hard-work.

In reflecting on the short placement experience that he hugely enjoyed, Henry said:

“Having worked at Darlingtons for the past week; being immersed into the community life of a small law firm, where everyone knows everyone, where people walk between floors to ask the advice of their colleagues, where everyone works to the betterment of themselves and those around them for the common goal of furthering their career but also representing the firm they work so tirelessly for; I am so intrigued by the thought of, upon completion of the remainder of my degree, working in a firm like Darlingtons, a small family-like firm, where despite the stress of clients and other firms, you still get up every day to do better, and be the best lawyer you can be”.

Larah Otoo, on placement at Darlingtons

Larah Otoo said:

“My week at Darlingtons has been an enriching and unforgettable experience. The environment of the firm was close-knit and supportive, which was immediately evident from the moment I arrived. All members of staff were willing to spend time with me answering any questions and giving great advice which allowed me to feel like part of the community.

I learnt so much in my week there from spending time in the property department and litigation department, as well as reading a variety of cases relating to employment law and settlements. A highlight would include drafting a contract for a client which allowed me to apply knowledge I have learnt in the Contract Law module.

This placement has allowed me to gain an accurate representation of what working in the world of law is like and the positive experience has encouraged me to pursue a career as a solicitor in the future.”

Craig Sharpe, business development manager at Darlingtons, praised the students for their open mindedness and eagerness to learn: “both demonstrated a very mature approach, willingness and openness which are key traits of modern lawyers; and were credit to themselves and to Goldsmiths”.

Goldsmiths Law offers its students a wide range of opportunities to gain professional insights and is appreciative of the collaborations, such as with Darlingtons Solicitors LLP, that enable this.