Primary page content

Volunteering at Es Baluard Museu d’Art Modern i Contemporani de Palma in Spain

Andrea Pisano, an International ICCE student, volunteered at Es Baluard Museu d’Art Modern i Contemporani de Palma in Spain. She was awarded funding by Goldsmiths to assist in covering the costs of her placement.

How did you find your volunteering activity?

Last year I really wanted to go to Spain because I have always been fascinated by the language and the culture. I found my volunteering activity in the Es Baluard Modern and Contemporary Art Museum online. I applied, and after a few weeks of waiting I was given the chance to have an interview with the manager of the museum, which led to me successfully obtaining my placement.

What skills did you learn?

Initially I was anxious because it was my first time working in the art industry, however it turned out to be an experience full of energy. I gained many different skills including how to encourage visitors to get involved with museum activities. I was also able to work in collaboration with my co-workers, practice my Spanish, and gain insight into the works that are related to the island, such as sculpture and paintings of Picasso and Miró.

What was your daily routine?

My daily routine was always full of different things to do between the work in the museum and practicing my Spanish. Every day there were activities taking place at the museum which involved people of different ages and nationalities. It was not only an artistic centre, but also a concentrate of different languages, cultures and religious beliefs.

What challenges did you face and how did you overcome them?

My challenges included finding a room in the busiest period of the year (July and August), being alone in a new country with different customs and working with children during their summer school activities. children tended to touch the works, scream during the exhibition and speak in different languages. Whilst this was hard to deal with initially, with the guidance of the staff I slowly learned the patience that was required to manage them effectively.

What are the benefits of going abroad?

As an international student, going abroad is the best way to open your mind, make new friends and learn another language; this makes you very attractive to future employers. The Go Abroad Team was really helpful as they provided me with the funding that supported me through the experience. This has definitely inspired me to travel abroad next summer.